A little bit about The Port Washington Historical Society
Celebrating our 25th Anniversary!
The Port Washington Historical Society serves as the city’s most accomplished cultural organization. The Society, which incorporated in 1991, is a trusted entity in Port Washington that completes projects right, stewards donations properly and has a vision that will benefit future generations.
If a growing, enthusiastic membership is any sort of metric then it’s important to know the Society, which started with 70 founding members, has now expanded to more than 225 members who live across the country. The Society has many accomplishments under its belt, including programming, book publication and historical designations. Plus, the Society has successfully overseen the restoration of the Light Station and the Blake Building Resource Center. Visit the Historical Society website and learn more
The 1860 Light Station and the grounds surrounding it were restored 1982. The property now resembles the period between 1860 and 1923, the Light Station’s active years. Society volunteers staff the museum on weekends from June through October, as well as offer special tours of the Light House by appointment.
In April 2014, the Society received an award from the Association of Historic Preservation Commission recognizing the rehabbing and adaptive use of the 1852 Blake Building Resource Center. The facility’s 5,400 square feet and prominent downtown location fulfilled many of the Society’s dreams for the future – space for exhibits, archival cataloging and storage, and office and meeting space in a visible, accessible and affordable location. Through the generosity of Society donors, in 2012, the Society has managed to purchase and restore this building outright, without a mortgage.